TOWN OF NEWFANE
APRIL 3, 2017
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Gary Delius, Marion Dowling, Carol Hatcher, Christopher Williams
OTHERS PRESENT: Doris Knechtel, Gunther Garbe, Ken Estey, Lynn Forrest, Frank Suponski, Shannon Meckle
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.by Carol Hatcher, Chair.
ADDITIONS/AMENDMENTS TO THE AGENDA
Gary Delius requested that a report from his attendance at the Windham Regional Commission meeting be added to the agenda.
March 20, 2017: The minutes were reviewed. A motion was made by Gary Delius to approve the minutes as presented. Christopher Williams seconded the motion. The motion carried with three in favor and Marion Dowling abstaining.
March 24, 2017 Emergency Meeting: The minutes were reviewed. A motion was made by Gary Delius to approve the minutes as presented. Marion Dowling seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
Road Foreman’s/Road Commissioner’s Report: See attached report.
Christopher Williams noted that he recommends getting rid of the Sterling and keeping the small truck another year. Discussion ensued regarding replacing equipment.
Todd added that he wanted to recognize John Snow’s passing and the service he’d provided to the town, and that the town is thinking of John and his family.
A motion was made by Marion Dowling to approve the report. The motion was seconded by Gary Delius. The motion carried with three in favor and Christopher Williams abstaining.
Certification of Compliance: The form was read into the record. A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Marion Dowling to approve the Certification of Compliance. The motion carried unanimously.
VTrans Annual Financial Plan: The form was read into the record. A motion was made by Gary Delius to approve the Annual Financial Plan. The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried unanimously.
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
Planning Commission, Regarding Membership: Lynn Forrest, representing the Planning Commission was present to request that Ken Estey be appointed to fill the current vacancy. She noted that Ken had met with the Planning Commission and understands the responsibility.. Ken affirmed his interest in serving. A motion was made by Gary Delius to appoint Ken Estey to the Planning Commission. The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried unanimously.
Lynn also noted that the next meeting would be held on April 11 and there would be discussion regarding the history of Brookside Village.
Town Office Committee: Doris presented copies of a proposed RFP for painting the interior and exterior of the Newfane Town Office. A motion was made by Gary Delius to accept the proposals and to send them out, with bids to be received by April 17. The motion was seconded by Christopher Williams. Discussion ensued regarding an RFP for vinyl siding versus painting. The Selectboard encouraged residents to speak up about their preference. Discussion also ensued regarding repairs needing to be done to the building before painting is done. The motion carried unanimously.
UNSCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
There were no Unscheduled Members of the Public.
Selectboard Rules of Procedure: After a brief review, a motion was made by Gary Deliu0s to adopt the Selectboard Rules of Procedure for 2017. The motion was seconded by Christopher Williams. The motion carried unanimously.
Conflict of Interest Policy: After a brief review, a motion was made by Gary Delius to adopt the Conflict of Interest Policy for 2017. The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried unanimously.
EAP Meeting Overview: The Selectboard gave a brief overview of a crisis meeting led by a counselor from the Employee Assistance Program.
Recycling Committee: Gary gave a report on the Windham Regional Commission meeting on the subject of recycling. Discussion ensued regarding the future of recycling.
Open & Accepting Town Committee: Ken Estey gave an update on his efforts to recruit committee members. Ken will submit the names to Shannon for official appointment at the April 17 meeting.
Gunther Garbe noted his concerns regarding finances, safety, housing, jobs, school expenses, etc. Discussion ensued regarding these concerns. The Committee will take them under advisement when they meet.
Executive Session – Personnel Issue: A motion was made by Carol Hatcher to enter into Executive Session to discuss the terms of employment of an employee or public officer under the provisions of Title 1, Section 313(a)(3). The motion was seconded by Gary Delius. The motion carried unanimously and the Board entered into Executive Session at 7:08 p.m.
The Board came out of Executive Session at 8:23 p.m.
There were no motions as a result of the Executive Session.
A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Christopher Williams to approve the pay orders as follows:
- Accounts Payable Warrant No. 17023 in the amount of $51,550.96
- Payroll Warrant No. 03/29/17 in the amount of $6,399.64
- Payroll Warrant No. 04/05/17 in the amount of $7,559.91
The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Marion Dowling to adjourn at 8:42 p.m.. The motion carried unanimously.
ROAD FOREMAN’S AND ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT
APRIL 3, 2017
- Roads: The roads are rough with pot holes but over all they are in good shape. The last storm was hard to plow the dirt roads because they were so soft, but the crew did a great job. The wing dug in on Radway hill black top and on Auger Hole Road in South Newfane and did quite a bit of damage to the black top but luckily did not do damage to the truck or hurt the driver.
- Equipment: The 09 Sterling is back over at Twin State with a windshield wiper problem. We replaced the wiper motor and the wiper switch but it is not working. It appears to have an electrical short in the dash. It is also having emission problems again. The 2013 Mack has some plow frame damage from the last storm but we can fix it in our shop.
- VTrans: Shannon and I met with VTrans to go over to go over our budget so they can figure out how much money the state will give the town for this year. Shannon has the paper work that the Selectboard needs to sign tonight.
- River Road Bridge: I have called a contractor to get an estimate on what it will cost to get the River Road Bridge work done. We had to have that so we could get the structures grant in and get it approved. It appears that the town will get $175.000.00 dollar matching grant to do the work on the bridge.
- Truck Bid: I have the truck bid done and Shannon will be sending it out soon.
- Paving Bid: I am working on the paving bid and will have Shannon review it and get it sent out as well.
Todd Lawley, Road Foreman
Christopher Williams, Road Commissioner