TOWN OF NEWFANE
JUNE 19, 2017
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Gary Delius, Marion Dowling, Carol Hatcher, Christopher Williams
OTHERS PRESENT: Cristine White, Ken Estey, David Thurber
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 3:30 p.m. by Carol Hatcher, Chair.
ADDITIONS/AMENDMENTS TO THE AGENDA
Ken Estey requested discussion of appointing an additional member to the Open and Accepting Town Committee be added to New Business.
Carol noted that the update on the Truck Bid was in Todd’s report and wouldn’t require further discussion on the agenda. Carol also requested that the Board open but not award the paving bids in Todd’s absence, that the Board table forming a Personnel Committee, and table discussion of Employee Appreciation Day. Discussion ensued.
Gary Delius made a motion to table until time certain the paving bid, forming a Personnel Committee, and Employee Appreciation Day. The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. Discussion: Christopher reminded the Board that the July 3 is supposed to be a short meeting for setting the tax rate and approving pay orders. Discussion ensued regarding when to revisit the items.
The motion was amended by Marion Dowling to table the paving bids until June 22, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. The amendment was seconded by Gary Delius. The motion carried unanimously.
Gary amended his motion to table all other items to July 17, 2017. Marion Dowling seconded the amendment. The motion carried unanimously.
Doris reminded the Board that Listers would be holding grievance meetings at the town office at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday.
June 19, 2017: The minutes were reviewed. A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Christopher Williams to approve the minutes. The motion carried unanimously.
Road Foreman’s & Road Commissioner’s Report: See attached report.
A motion was made by Gary Delius to accept the Road Foreman’s and Road Commissioner’s Report. The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried unanimously.
Highway Crew Opening: A motion was made by Gary Delius to enter into Executive Session to discuss the Highway Crew applications, in accordance with 1V.S.A. §313(a)(3). The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried unanimously. The Board entered into Executive Session at 3:50 p.m.
A motion was made by Gary Delius to come out of Executive Session. The motion was seconded by Christopher Williams. The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Christopher Williams to hire Mike Winot for full time employment on the Highway Department. The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried unanimously.
Paving Bids: Three bids were received. They were opened and read into the record as follows:
Vermont Roadworks, LLC – Side Dressing: $409.47/Hour
Price Per Ton in Place: $60.11
Estimated Total Cost: $116, 974.06 (Price firm)
Bazin Brothers – Side Dressing: $410.00/Hour
Price Per Ton in Place: $61.70
Estimated Total Cost: $120,510.00
Springfield Paving – Side Dressing: $500.00/Hour
Price Per Ton in Place: $59.89
Estimated Total Cost: $115,095.95
The bid will be awarded on Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 9:00 a.m.
Municipal Roads Grant – Letter of Intent: The Board reviewed the letter of intent for the Municipal Roads Grant. A motion was made by Gary Delius to sign the Municipal Road Grant Pilot Project Letter of Intent. The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried unanimously.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT
See attached report.
A motion was made by Gary Delius to accept the report. The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried unanimously.
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
Town Office Building Committee: A report was read into the record from the Town Office Building Committee, requesting authorization to spend $750 for window sill repair and $450 for fencing. An update on other projects was also included. A motion was made by Gary Delius to accept the report and approve funds of $750 for sill repair and $450.00 for fencing. The motion was seconded by Christopher Williams. The motion carried unanimously.
Cris White, Southeastern Vermont Watershed Alliance: Cristine White presented a packet of information regarding Southeastern Vermont Watershed Alliance and gave the Board an update of activities. The Board will consider an increase in the appropriation in the next budgeting session.
UNSCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
There were no unscheduled members of the public.
Open and Accepting Town Committee Membership: Ken Estey recommended adding Ingrid Longo to the Open and Accepting Town Committee. A motion was made by Marion Dowling to appoint Ingrid Longo to the Open and Accepting Town Committee. The motion was seconded by Gary Delius. The motion carried unanimously.
- A letter was received from Rock River Science regarding dumping on Hunter Brook Road. Gary read the letter into the record. The letter requested that the town clean it up. Christopher noted that the Road Crew couldn’t clean it up. Discussion ensued regarding signs. Cristine White noted that she would like to go look and ask SeVWA for guidance. Cristine clarified that Rock River Science is not connected with Rock River Preservation. The Board was in agreement to ask Todd to get some signage for the area.
A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Marion Dowling to approve the pay orders as follows:
- Accounts Payable Warrant No. 17028 in the amount of $68,431.72
- Accounts Payable Warrant No. 1728A in the amount of $387.60
- Payroll Warrant No. 06/14/2017 in the amount of $4,150.53
The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Marion Dowling to adjourn at 4:47 p.m.
ROAD FOREMAN’S AND ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT
JUNE 19, 2017
- Roads: We continue to grade roads and clean culverts with the back hoe, but it has been an uphill battle with all the heavy rain storms every other day. We are going to have to do ditch work on a lot of roads when they dry out. All roads are open and pretty good overall. I have Jake Beattie going around cutting the roads back where there is a lot of knot weed. We had two thousand left in the road side mowing budget, so it was a good time to have him get the worst spots.
- Equipment: The 2013 Mack is at State Line truck service for some rear brake work. The rest of the equipment is OK at this time.
- Paving Bids: the paving bids are due today. Just remember that the bids are to be price per ton in place. That’s the way we have done it for years now. VTRANS said that is the way to bid it out.
- Truck Bid: I would recommend going with Summit Motors The price went up some because they did not have an extended warranty in their bid. He has now included it in the price.
- Kenny Pond: I have been in touch with Ben Greene from the division of Dam inspections. He is going to schedule a time when he can send someone down to look at the dam and give us a recommendation on how they want us to sure up the retaining wall. When I know when they are coming down I will let Shannon know so she can notify the Palmer family. I will let Marc Pickering and Mike Fitzpatrick, and Christopher know so we are all on the same page with the repairs.
- Job Application/Interviews: Christopher and I have done the job interviews and we are ready to make a recommendation to the board.
- York Rake: The new york rake is here we have to get it put together. Then we will start using that and put the old one out to bid.
- The road crew has been busy with culvert cleaning and ditching roads. Vacations will be starting soon for most of us. They do a good job for the town keeping the roads good.
Depending on the storms today,
I may not be there. We are supposed to have possible flash flooding starting around 1:00 p.m.
Todd Lawley, Road Foreman
Christopher Williams, Road Commissioner
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT
JUNE 19, 2017
RECYCLING POST CARDS: Post cards went out to all property owners last week letting them know about the recycling bins. I noticed Johanna also put an announcement on Front Porch Forum as well.
STRUCTURES GRANT/RIVER ROAD BRIDGE BIDS: The grant agreement was returned to us with the required signatures, so I was able to get the request for bids out last week. They are due back on July 17.
FEMA TRAINING: All Selectboard members have completed their required FEMA training. I have all of the certificates in the file now.