Virtual Monday December 21st, 2020
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Marion Dowling, Mike Fitzpatrick, Shelly Huber and Angela Sanborn. Absent: Christopher Williams.
OTHERS PRESENT: Galen -BCTV, Jay Wilson and Wannetta Powling
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 6:06 p.m. by Chair Marion Dowling.
ADDITIONS/ AMENDMENTS TO AGENDA:
- December 7th,, 2020 Regular meeting, Ms. Sanborn made a motion to accept the minutes. Ms. Huber seconded. Motion passed. 3/1 Mr. Fitzpatrick abstained.
- December 14th, 2020 Budget meeting, Mr. Fitzpatrick made a motion to accept the minutes. Ms. Huber seconded.
Motion passed. 3/1 Ms. Sanborn abstained.
ROAD FOREMAN’S AND ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT:
- The storm on Thursday was substantial with very little visibility. It went well, but was just a lot of snow at one time. We need to send letters to a resident on Back St. with a new wooden fence in the town right of way explaining that the snow off the plow will most likely damage his fence and that the town is not responsible. The other is a resident on Toby Hill Rd. has been putting a large pile of snow in the road from his driveway. I want to remind people that they cannot plow or snow blow snow into the town road.
- The Depot Rd Culvert update: The bank has filed a foreclosure on the Fickett property further delaying our box culvert. We now would need to wait for the sale to happen on Jan. 19th before we can work on getting the easement from the new owners.
- The Newfane village speed committee will be having a Zoom meeting Thursday to go over the Traffic Safety Audit that has been completed for Newfane Village.
- The Sand/Salt shed update: Bell Engineering is now working on the next phase of the plans.
- The Arch Bridge should be going out to bid a week from this Wednesday
Ms. Huber made a motion to accept the Road Foreman’s report, Mr. Fitzpatrick seconded.
Motion passed 4/0.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT:
- Tonight marks the deadline for our Social Services Appropriations appointments. 34 letters were sent out to those that had previously received Town appropriations / I have not heard from 4
- Tuesday morning I have a scheduled meeting with Sheriff Anderson and representatives from Putney, Dummerston and Westminster. This is a follow up to our informational meeting on 12/2nd regarding W.C.S.D. implementing a Regional Animal Control officer to service these towns currently without an Animal Control officer.
- I will then be taking Wednesday the 23rd & Thursday the 24th off as vacation days.
- A reminder for those committee members’ that have not sent me your reports, please do so ASAP.
Mr. Fitzpatrick made a motion to accept the Administrative Assistant’s report, Ms. Sanborn seconded.
Motion passed 4/0.
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC:
- Social Services funds request qualifications for town appropriation considerations.
- Becka Shaffer – Valley Cares
- Hillary Farquhar – Brattleboro Hospice
- Steven Meyer – LG Foundation
- Lyndia – VT Independent Living (Did Not Appear)
- Maggie Lewis- The gathering Place
- Anne Gouin – Windham County Human Society
- Gloria Cristelli – Newfane Neighbors
UNSCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC:
Town Meeting March 2nd 2021 Australian ballot. Members of the Newfane Selectboard attended a municipal training on Thursday December 17th, presenter Will Senning from the VT Secretary of State provided an overview of legal requirements and the process of the Australian ballot system. Board members considered the resident’s average age that have attended past Town meeting’s, the number of absentee ballots received from the presidential election in November. Upon careful evaluation of the information available, the unprecedented circumstances, recommendations from health officers and state officials, a motion was made by Ms. Huber to move all of 2020 Town Meeting business to Australian Ballots. Mr. Fitzpatrick seconded.
Motion passed 4/0.
Animal Control continues to be an issue that the Selectboard has been dealing with. There have been serious complaints received. A notice of service was sent to dog owners in S. Newfane. It has been an ongoing issue between neighbors, but with the continued harassing and aggressive behavior it became apartment that official intervention was necessary to protect all the residents of Newfane, S. Newfane, Williamsville and Brookside.
It is the responsibility of the dog owners to maintain control of their animals. Owners are responsible for the behavior and actions of their animals, and to follow town policy and ordinances.
Gloria Cristelli – Fostering Dogs – The email to the Selectboard chair was read by Ms. Dowling. Ms. Cristelli was contacted thru Newfane Neighbors a group of volunteers that was established to provide those in need with a helping hand. The elderly gentleman was admitted to the hospital and has 4 small dogs that need to be cared for. Ms. Cristelli was aware that Newfane ACO had resigned. So she assumed the responsibility of finding a solution for these pets.
Newfane is grateful to the generous and kind hearts of residents that are willing to step forward when there is a call for help.
Thank you one and all for your service.
- Payroll Warrant #11488 Amount $ 4,573.74
- Payroll Warrant #11489 Amount $ 5,745.92
- Account Payable # 21012 Amount $ 29,905.45
Ms. Huber made a motion to approve pay orders. Mr. Fitzpatrick seconded.
ADJOURN: Motion to adjourn was made by Ms. Huber @ 8:49pm.