A Highway Crew Member reports to, and works under the supervision of, the Road Foreman. A Highway Crew member for the Town of Newfane Highway Department carries out a variety of highway and town maintenance related tasks. This position requires experience in highway maintenance and repair, mechanical ability, record keeping, and job safety. This position is fulltime, 40 hours per week, and requires a flexible schedule which may include nights, weekends and holidays, as well as overtime, and offers good pay and excellent benefits.
The Highway Road Crew member will have the following minimum qualifications:
- Possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Possess a valid Commercial Driver’s License, with proper endorsements, a current Medical Card, and a clean driving record.
- Have a minimum of 2 years experience driving trucks, plowing snow, and operating heavy equipment and a chain saw.
- Ability to follow written or verbal instructions, work with co-workers as a small team member, as well as independently.
- Ability to withstand exposure to and work under varying weather conditions requiring significant physical effort, and perform strenuous physical tasks such as bending, stooping, lifting, carrying and digging.
Major Job Duties
The Highway Road Crew person’s duties shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- Operating equipment in a wide variety of highway maintenance tasks including spreading sand and salt, and plowing snow.
- Performing general road construction and maintenance including patching, ditching work, culvert replacement and maintenance, bridge maintenance, and brush and tree removal.
- Performing light to heavy manual labor as required.
- Checking equipment to make sure all safety mechanisms are in operating condition, and performing light maintenance on equipment as required.
- Ability to carry out written or oral instructions and to exercise good judgment when working.
- Ability to withstand exposure to and work under varying weather conditions, exertion of significant physical effort, and perform strenuous physical tasks as needed.
Please download, print, complete and submit to
Town of Newfane,
Attn. Shannon Meckle, Administrative Assistant
Town of Newfane
PO Box 296, 555 Route 30,
Newfane, VT 05345
Applications will be accepted until October 16, 2017.
(Dated: September 19, 2017.)