Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/97227911757?pwd=TEd4YmdKMzJUd3NaTERhVUFOWWsydz09
Meeting ID: 972 2791 1757 Passcode: 352680 (Expires Sept.20th)
One tap mobile +13017158592, 97227911757#, *352680# US (Washington D.C)
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Angela Sanborn, Ann Golob, Shelly Huber Katy Johnson-Aplin
Absent: Mike Fitzpatrick.
OTHERS PRESENT: Jay Wilson, David Cotton, Kate Gehring, Austin Rice -BCTV, and Wannetta Powling.
CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm by Selectboard Chair Angela Sanborn.
ADDITIONS/AMENDMENTS TO AGENDA:
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
- July 6th, 2021, Regular Meeting
Katy Johnson-Aplin made a motion to accept the minutes as amended for the July 6th, 2021, regular meeting.
Ann Golob seconded the motion. Motion passed 4/0.
ROAD FOREMAN’S & ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT:
- We received the $175,000 reimbursement from VTRANS for the Monroe Bridgework.
- The Depot Rd Culvert update: Still awaiting easement.
- The Sand/Salt shed update: We had the meeting last week, and everything is in order. They have suggested we request additional funds from a grant to increase costs and put it out to bid this winter to get the best price.
- The weather over the last couple of weeks has been challenging; we have recorded over fourteen (14″) inches of rain; however, the damage has been relatively minor so far. The damage could have been much worse with that much rain.
- We received the permit from VTRANS today for the radar signs in Newfane Village. I will still have to provide them with a certificate of insurance, get a Dig Safe ticket, notify the VTRANS underground utility person and notify District 2
- The Arch Bridge is out to bid; so far, seven construction companies are looking at the work. The bids are due July 30th, and then VTRANS will award the work by the end of August.
Ann Golob made a motion to accept the Road Foreman’s Report. Shelly Huber seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4/0.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT:
- This past week has been busy with routine office responsibilities.
- The Selectboard forgot to ask me, but I assumed the Board would have wanted to send a Thank you letter to Myra Fassler for her work as a volunteer.
- Carol and I assisted Melissa with stuffing envelopes and mailing the 2021-2022 tax bills.
- Sheriff Anderson is still awaiting the Animal Control MOD finale documents from the department’s attorney; he said they had expedited the process. Sheriff Anderson will let us know as soon as he receives them.
(This delay was – waiting for Windham’s to approve their budget due to COVID.)
- I have been researching documents from Hurricane Irene. It is necessary to determine if the Town assigned the “Operation & Maintenance “over to the landowner after five years. This will determine if the Town is responsible for the maintenance at 65 Baker Brook Road. (Due to the recent high rain in the past few weeks, the resident is highly concerned that the work done after Irene was not done correctly.)
- Sullivan, Powers & Co – Scope of Services contract as agreed with previous correspondence from a partner the current fees will remain the same as last year, $ 16,800.
- Windham County Humane Society (WCHS) – Annual Services contract
Katy Johnson-Aplin made a motion to authorize the Chair to sign the contract with WCHS. Ann Golob seconded.
Motion passed 4/0.
Ann Golob made a motion to accept the Administrative Assistant’s report. Shelly Huber seconded.
Motion passed 4/0.
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC:
UNSCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC:
American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) -Ann Golob & Planning Commission
Office Renovations Plans
Scope of Services – Sullivan, Powers & Co
American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA Status) -Ann Golob / Kate Gehring
As of June 22nd, 2021, the Town of Newfane applied for ARPA funding and is estimated to receive $154,414.44. This amount will be distributed in two equal payments (50% each time) at least 12 months apart.
This represents the funds that the federal government has allocated to the towns directly. There is a second fund of monies that the federal government has allocated to the counties. It is estimated that we will receive approximately $90,000 but as of yet there is no decision on how these funds will be distributed in Vermont since we do not have a countywide government.
As part of our reporting requirements for receiving the $154,414.44, two signed letters are due to the federal government making assurances that we are spending the funds in accordance with the law. Copies of these letters are attached. We will need to have both documents signed and available to provide to the US Treasury at their request at the end of November 2021 as part of our initial reporting.
Kate Gehring – The Planning Commission will be scheduling a series of community meetings asking for public input on what projects are considered important. The first one will be by Zoom, the other two in person. Residents can expect the information to be mailed from the Planning Commission in the next few weeks regarding the meetings.
Development Consultant Suggestion
We have discussed the option of hiring a development consultant to work with us on managing the reporting to the government for the ARPA funds and applying for grants to realize a variety of projects that will be proposed by the Planning Commission in the coming months. In order to move that process forward, I wrote the first draft of a job description that can be posted and shared. I would welcome your feedback. I am also attaching two job descriptions for similar positions in Dover and Northfield, VT that I used as a framework.
David Lucido – Request for DRB Appointment
Ann Golob made a motion to appoint David Lucido to the Development Review Board. Shelly Huber seconded.
Motion passed 4/0.
COMMITTEE REPORT: DRB – David Cotton / Piet van Loon
· EXECUTIVE SESSION 1 V.S.A 313(a) (1)(E) pending or probable litigation.
Ann Golob made a motion to enter Executive Session. Shelly Huber seconded. Motion passed 4/0.
Board entered Executive Session at 6:28 pm
Ann Golob made a motion to exit Executive Session. Shelly Huber seconded. Motion passed 4/0.
Board exited Executive Session at 7:11 pm
No decision was made.
- Payroll Warrant No #11522 Amount $ 4,897.43
- Payroll Warrant No #11523 Amount $ 5,200.15
- Account Payable No # 22002 Amount $ 72,145.98
Ann Golob made a motion to approve pay orders. Shelly Huber seconded the motion.
Motion Passed. 4/0
Ann Golob made a motion to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 7:35 pm