Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/97227911757?pwd=TEd4YmdKMzJUd3NaTERhVUFOWWsydz09
Meeting ID: 972 2791 1757 Passcode: 352680 (Expires Sept.20th)
One tap mobile +13017158592, 97227911757#, *352680# US (Washington D.C)
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Angela Sanborn, Ann Golob, Mike Fitzpatrick, Shelly Huber, and Katy Johnson-Aplin.
Jay Wilson, Jane Douglas, Ken Estey, Nancy Ryzs, Apple Gifford, Dan Dewalt, Jeryl Julian, Frank Crowley, Kate Gehring, Thomas Abbotts, Johanna Gardner, Jennifer C., Bahman Mahdavi, Piet van Loon, and Austin Rice –BCTV.
CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm by Selectboard Chair Angela Sanborn.
ADDITIONS/AMENDMENTS TO AGENDA:
Mike Fitzpatrick made a motion to move the Road Foreman’s report & the Administrative Assistant’s Report to the top of the agenda. Shelly Huber seconded.
Motion Passed 5/0
ROAD FOREMAN’S & ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT:
- The Arch Bridge project was awarded to Renaud Bros. Construction. I had a meeting with them on Friday to discuss their plan as they move forward.
- The undermined pavement and bank slide on Dover Rd. near the fire station technically is not covered by FEMA because it’s a Federal-Aid Highway. We are working on seeing who will assist us with paying for this project. The Old Mill retaining wall may not be strong enough to hold the repairs.
- For the rest of the repairs, we are awaiting word that a disaster declaration has been declared. Once we have a go-ahead, there are several sites that we could put the project out to bid. I tried to get an update today, but it was a holiday for VTRANS.
- VLCT Insurance Prevention installed sensors in the Williamsville Hall to maintain and alert if the temperature for water freezes up. And a sensor in the furnace room, with motion detectors at the door locations.
Michael Fitzpatrick made a motion to approve the Road Foreman’s report. Shelly Huber seconded the motion. Motion passed 5/0
5. Thom Dahlen Access permit for Cemetery Hill Road and Dewitt Road. There is a recommendation for approving this permit. A 15″ diameter culvert needs to be installed to allow for drainage away from the road.
Michael Fitzpatrick made a motion to approve the access permit with the Road Foreman’s recommendation. Shelly Huber seconded the motion. Motion passed 5/0
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT: (Presented by Angela Sanborn)
- Any residents with personal property damage from the flood will still need to report it by calling 211, then option #5. The United Way is set up to take all the information for FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency.) Vermont Emergency Management director Erica Bornemann said, “To qualify, Vermont must show there is at least a million dollars worth of damage and recovery costs. Without federal assistance, the taxpayers in those communities will experience a serious hardship. FEMA has to verify the damage before the governor can request a disaster declaration.” Here in Newfane, we are still waiting to hear the damage estimates from FEMA.
Shelly Huber needed to clarify that reporting thru 211 will help to emphasize the total impact of damages to qualify for the one million dollars.
- With the current COVID issues in the News, does the Selectboard want to impose the COVID Safety Procedures for inside the buildings? An email from Cor Trowbridge at BCTV was read to the Board and Public.
Katy Johnson-Aplin made a motion to impose the COVID Safety Procedures for inside Town Office buildings.
Ann Golob made a motion to re-establish the Safety Procedures for the Town Office. Katy Johnson-Aplin seconded. Motion passed 5-0
- I had a conversation today with Merle Tessier; he shared that he will be attending follow-up appointments in Dartmouth for newly discovered health concerns. The Selectboard could appoint an assistant to fill in as Zoning Administrator. The Town Clerk has had several calls asking for information that we are unable to answer. If the board feels it is necessary to fill the position, Piet van Loon has the experience and knowledge; this recommendation comes with Merle’s blessings.
Michael Fitzpatrick made a motion to approve Piet van Loon as acting Zoning Administrator.
Shelly Huber seconded the motion. Motion passed 5/0
- Kindle Farm School has requested that Newfane complete a “Municipal Impact Questionnaire” for their proposed building permit.
Discussion (clarify information with Wannetta before finishing the questionnaire).
- I will be taking vacation days from August 23-27.
Mike Fitzpatrick made a motion to accept the Administrative Assistant’s report. Ann Golob seconded. Motion passed 5/0.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
- August 2, 2021, Regular Meeting
Katy Johnson-Aplin made a motion to accept. Mike Fitzpatrick seconded the motion. Motion passed 5/0.
2. August 5, 2021, Special Meeting Opening Bids.
Shelly Huber made a motion to accept. Ann Golob seconded the motion. Motion passed 3/2
Mike Fitzpatrick and Katy Johnson-Aplin abstained.
Mike Fitzpatrick made a motion to go into Executive Session at 6:22 pm.
Citing 1V.S.A. 313(a)(1)(E) pending or probable litigation of prosecution.
Mike Fitzpatrick made a motion to exit Executive Session at 7:12 pm, Katy Johnson-Aplin seconded the motion.
Decision: Recommendations given.
Planning Commissioner Ken Estey – Planning Projects for ARAP Funds.
The Planning Commission will continue to meet in regular and special meetings, and in these meetings, we will discuss and prioritize the following:
- Affordable Housing
- Shared Living
- Senior Housing
- Assisted Living
- Public Transportation
- Community Revitalization
Residents will be allowed to provide input. The Selectboard would be given the recommendations and determine what the priorities are.
Thursday, August 26, 2021, starting at 4-6 pm at the NewBrook Fire Department, a public needs assessment for Route 30 from Brattleboro to Stratton for public transportation. There is a survey available www.surveymonkey.com/r/VTRT30
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC:
UNSCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC:
American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) -Ann Golob & Ken Estey Planning Commission
- Municipal Planning Grant Training on Wednesday – Ann Golob and Shelly Huber will be attending the webinar.
- Job Description for Hiring a Consultant, Ann Golob and Shelly Huber will work together to finalize the draft for board approval for the next meeting on September 7th with local parameters and expectations for the advertising process. To complete the hiring process for consultants, there are funds available to meet this contracted position from ARPA.
Fund Collaboration with ARPA & WRC – Shelly Huber
WRVMA Banner Raising Concerns- Shelly Huber
Request made to table until the September 7 meeting
Erica Walsh – Thank you for Flood Work
- Payroll Warrant No #11527 Amount $ 4,592.19
- Payroll Warrant No #11526 Amount $ 6,616.58
- Account Payable No # 22004 Amount $ 75,047.93
Ann Golob made a motion to approve pay orders. Shelly Huber seconded the motion. Motion Passed.5/0
Mike Fitzpatrick made a motion to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 7:45 pm