Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/joinameeting Meeting ID: 972 2791 1757 Passcode: 52680
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Angela Sanborn, Ann Golob, Shelly Huber, Katy Johnson- Aplin, and Mike Fitzpatrick (phone.)
OTHERS PRESENT: Ken Estey, Jane Douglas, Doris Knechtel, Joan Weir, Wannetta Powling & Austin Rice from BCTV. (Zoom) Jay Wilson, Kate Gehring, Jeryl Julian –Cisse, Lynn Forrest, Maggie Lewis, Sheriff Mark Anderson, Jen Stomsten, – Russell Bradbury-Carlin, and Andrea Seaton.
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm by Selectboard Chair Angela Sanborn.
ADDITIONS/AMENDMENTS TO AGENDA:
Katy Johnson- Aplin made a motion to move the Old Business Real Estate Options to follow the Road Foreman’s Report. Shelly Huber seconded. Motion passed 5/0
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
- October 18, 2021, Regular Meeting
Ann Golob made a motion to approve the Minutes of October 18, the Regular meeting. Katy Johnson- Aplin seconded the motion. Motion passed 5/0.
- October 25, 2021, the Budget Meeting
Ann Golob made a motion to approve October 25 Budget Minutes. Shelly Huber seconded. Motion passed 5/0
ROAD FOREMAN’S & ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT:
- The first radar sign that we purchased has been located on Dover Road near Adams Hill Road. It developed a problem a few weeks ago, and we sent it back for repair; the company offers a flat rate repair of $1,800 to refurbish the sign. The batteries are not new in that sign, and they would be $850 to replace when needed; a new sign would be $3,400. What would you like to do?
Mike Fitzpatrick asked if there would be a credit for the old radar sign to purchase a new one. Jay will look into it.
Shelly Huber made a recommendation to revisit this item at the next Selectboard meeting. Katy Johnson-Aplin seconded. Motion passed 5/0
- The Arch Bridge preconstruction meeting was last week.
- The sand/salt shed is still awaiting additional grant money.
- The Depot Rd. box culvert is awaiting Bob Fisher and the VTRANS Right of Way person to agree on moving forward with condemnation.
- I spoke with Ron Bell about designing the culvert on Eddy Road if grant money becomes available.
- There is an access permit for Charles Bergman at #379 Dover Road in South Newfane, and this needs Selectboard approval. The permit is good, and no additional recommendations are needed.
Shelly Huber made a recommendation to approve the access permit. Ann Golob seconded. Motion passed 5/0
Shelly Huber made a motion to approve the Road Foreman’s Report. Shelly Huber seconded. Motion passed 5/0.
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE:
I would ask the Selectboard to approve Todd Lawley and myself (Jay Wilson) as the two (2) contact representatives for Newfane on the Emergency Management.
Shelly Huber made a motion to approve the recommendation for Emergency Management. Katy Johnson-Aplin seconded. Motion passed 5/0
Real Estate -Mike Fitzpatrick:
Shelly Huber informed the Selectboard that any property of ten + (10+) acres would need to follow the Act 250 permit process, even if it’s a municipality. Area photos of the Radway Hill property were shared with those present.
The recommendation was to gather information on the cost & the permit process to give at the informational meeting. The Town is not able to start the permitting process until it owns the property.
Katy Johnson-Aplin made a motion to have Ann Golob gather information, requirements, and recommendations for the informational meeting. Ann Golob seconded. Motion passed 5/0
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT:
- I have provided the draft for the “Special Town Meeting” for your review. It is necessary to post the warning no less than 30 days before the meeting. Any changes need to be completed & voted upon before the end of tonight’s meeting- and then signed by the Board to stay on schedule.
WARNING FOR THE 2021 SPECIAL NEWFANE TOWN MEETING
NEWBROOK FIRE DEPARTMENT
DECEMBER 7, 2021
The legal voters of the Town of Newfane, Ve1mont, are hereby notified and warned that pursuant to Title 17 V.S.A. Section 2655, they are to meet at the NewBrook Fire Department in Newfane, Vermont, on Tuesday, December 7, 2021, at 6:00 pm to act upon the articles below.
ARTICLE 1: Shall the voters of the Town of Newfane authorize the Selectboard to purchase property known as parcel #B – 116.1 located off Radway Hill Road in Newfane, Vermont 21.67 acres+/- Gravel Pit for use by the Town of Newfane?
ARTICLE 2: Shall the voters of the Town of Newfane authorize the Selectboard to borrow funds for this capital needs?
ARTICLE 3: To transact any other non-binding business that may legally come before the Town.
- Appointments to meet with the Selectboard and discuss financial support are filling up. The last two available dates are December 6 and 20th. It would be best if you got in touch with me ASAP, or you could miss the deadline.
- Thursday, November 4, between 7:30–10:30 am, there will be a Community Breakfast – at the Williamsville Hall– you are encouraged to stop by for Coffee & Muffins. If you bring in your travel cup, you can “Get One to Go! “
- Last week I was among 20 others that attended the Arch Bridge preconstruction meeting. It seems to be a lot of information and details to go thru before they arrive to start the site work. The stagings will need to be in place before winter weather. (See attached minutes)
Ann Golob made a motion to accept the Administrative Assistant report. Shelly Huber seconded. Motion passed 5/0.
- Lister Doris Knechtel Errors & Omissions- Doris Knechtel submitted to the Selectboard a correction for the 2021 Grand List for properties owned by Wayne Waters ID # B 233.4 and Wayne & Lynn Waters ID #B 233.3. The two properties cannot be combined if not owned by the same individuals. An error was brought to the listers’ attention when the owners conducted a title search in preparation for selling one property.
Shelly Huber made a motion to accept the corrections for the Grand List. Ann Golob seconded. Motion passed 5/0
Planning Commission- Ken Estey –Lynn Forrest
The Planning commission provided a visual presentation including graphs with the results of the survey information to the Selectboard. The Planning commission will make itself available to assist in any way necessary.
The Selectboard will review the information provided and ask to continue further decisions about the results after Budget Season.
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: The following organizations gave an in-person (or Zoom) presentation regarding their appropriation request. They also included an Informational Statement, which will be part of the 2021 Town Report.
- Windham County Sheriff Department – Mark Anderson
- Gathering Place – Maggie Lewis
- Youth Services- Russell Bradbury-Carlin
- Grace Cottage Family Health- Andrea Seaton
- Williamsville School Preservation Society- Joan Weir
UNSCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC:
Brattleboro Development Credit Corporation (BDCC) Jen Stomsten provided the Selectboard with additional information from their earlier appropriation request. Population number 1,723 had come from the 2010 census for Newfane. Using the 2020 census number of 1,552, the Newfane population was lower. This clarifying information decreases the appropriation request of $3 per person or a total of $243.
Real Estate -Mike Fitzpatrick: This information update followed the Road Foreman’s Report.
Project Management Support through the Windham Regional Commission (WRC) – Ann Golob presented an email from Chris Campany, Executive Director at WRC, asking for town input on WRC hiring a project manager to assist towns managing their grant-funded projects. Newfane Selectboard was able to reply that they would be in support of this option and would look forward to this additional service.
- Payroll Warrant No #11536 Amount $ 4,330.52
- Payroll Warrant No #11537 Amount $ 4,714.94
- Account Payable No # 22008 Amount $ 118,331.01
Ann Golob made a motion to approve pay orders. Katy Johnson-Aplin seconded the motion.
Motion Passed.4/0 (Mike Fitzpatrick had withdrawn from the meeting)
ADJOURN: Ann Golob made a motion to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 7:55 pm