Town of Newfane Development Review Board
P.O. Box 36 Newfane, VT 05345
(802) 365 7772 / Fax (802) 365 7692
January 16, 2021
Decision of the Development Review Board (DRB) regarding appeal of Zoning Application 20-0043
Zoning Application 20-0043 is for a food takeout shed operated as a home business on a non-conforming lot at 492 Vermont Route 30 in the rural district. The zoning administrator denied the application on November 17, 2020 and applicant appealed the decision to the Development Review Board (DRB). The appeal was heard at a public hearing convened on December 17, 2020 and continued to January 14, 2021. On January 14, DRB voted to allow issuance of a zoning permit for this project.
Development Review Board Decision
Effective January 14, 2021:
Zoning permit #20-0043 is approved with the following conditions:
- That the food shed be situated as close as possible to the location shown on the Google map submitted in connection with this application.
- That the zoning administrator be notified prior to any proposed relocation of the shed.
Further, the Board specifically notes that approval of this permit constitutes granting a variance from the Newfane zoning bylaw in that the subject lot does not meet current acreage and/or setback requirements.
Findings of Law
- Proposed location of the shed does not comply with the Newfane Zoning Bylaw with respect to setback (35 feet proposed vs 65 feet per the bylaw) and lot area (less than 1-acre actual vs 2 acres per the bylaw).
- Newfane Zoning Bylaw allows home businesses and food service establishments as conditional uses in this district.
Findings of Fact
- The proposed location is on a main highway with some existing commercial development
- The applicant has developed a workable parking and traffic management plan that can be accommodated by the limited space available.
- The proposed use is consistent with the essential character of the neighborhood.
- The proposed site plan represents the least deviation from the zoning bylaw that will accommodate this project
- Unnecessary hardship has not been created by the applicant
Appeal of this Decision
In accordance with Title 24 VSA, Section 4471, an interested person who has participated in the Public Hearing of this matter may appeal this decision to the Environmental Division of the Vermont Superior Court by filing a Notice of Appeal directly to the Court within thirty (30) days of the decision.
Participation in the referenced hearing shall consist of offering oral or written testimony, evidence or a statement of concern related to the subject of the hearing.
Newfane Development Review Board
David Cotton, Chairman