This report is in accordance with 24 V.S.A. § 4384(c) which states:
“When considering an amendment to a plan, the planning commission shall prepare a written report on the proposal. The report shall address the extent to which the plan, as amended, is consistent with the goals established in § 4302 of this title.
This Newfane Town Plan Amendment is an update of the prior Plan, which the Windham Regional Commission (WRC) found to be consistent with the state planning goals. This update addresses an area of the prior plan which the WRC found lacking, specifically, the support of village center designation which falls under the state’s goal to plan a development so as to maintain the historic settlement pattern of compact village and urban centers separated by rural countryside.
If the proposed amendment would alter the designation of any land area (for example a zoning reclassification,) the report must also include written findings with regard to:
- The probable impact of the proposal on the surrounding area, including the effect of any increase in traffic, and the overall [pattern of land use;
The inclusion of this amendment stating support for designated village centers does not have any impact on traffic and supports the the plan’s desired pattern of land use.
- The long-term cost and benefit to the municipality, with regard to probable impacts to the municipal tax base and the need for public facilities;
This amendment of itself will have no cost or benefit to the municipality or to the municipal tax base or create the need for public facilities. However, once village center designation is applied for, and if granted, the result may have a beneficial effect on the villages and therefore on the municipality from increased vitality and economic activity and also may positively increase the town’s tax base.
- The amount of vacant land available (e.g., already zoned or designated,) needed and proposed for the intended use;
The inclusion of the amendment does not require any land. There are already three villages within the Town of Newfane, Newfane incorporated village, Williamsville and South Newfane.
- The suitability of the area in question for the intended use or purpose, with consideration given to appropriate alternative locations, alternative uses for the area under consideration, and the probable impact of the proposed change on other, similarly designated areas;
No new area is affected by this amendment. The Villages of Newfane, Williamsville and South Newfane already exist and are suitable locations for designated village centers.
- Whether the size and boundaries of the proposed area are appropriate, with respect to the area required for the proposed use, the capability of the land to support it, and existing development in the area.
Again, no new area is affected by this amendment. The Villages of Newfane, Williamsville and South Newfane already exist and are suitable locations for designated village centers.