TOWN OF NEWFANE SELECTBOARD MEETING MINUTES
November 4, 2019
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Hendrik van Loon, Angela Sanborn, Shelly Huber , Michael Fitzpatrick, and Christopher Williams
OTHERS PRESENT: Jay Wilson, Marion Dowling, Jeanne Rose, Jean Pollock, Carol Hatcher, Charles Bergman, Breeze Verdant, Nancy Riege, Annie Landenberger, Norman Benaicle, Tony Acheson, Wannetta Powling, and BCTV,
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Chair Hendrik van Loon.
ADDITIONS/ AMENDMENTS TO AGENDA:
1. A motion was made by Ms. Sanborn to accept the Minutes of October 21, 2019 Mr. Fitzpatrick seconded the motion The motion carried 3-1 -Mr. Williams Abstained
2. A motion was made by Ms. Sanborn to accept the Budget Minutes of October 28, 2019 Mr. Fitzpatrick seconded the motion. The motion carried 3-1 -Mr. Williams Abstained
Road Foreman’s & Road Commissioner’s Report:
See attached report.
1. A motion was made by Mr. Fitzpatrick to accept Bid for the stone work from Mr. Nathaniel Noyes. To repair walkway at town office, and to reset the wall at Cemetery Hill Road .This work is to be done in spring of 2020. Seconded by Mr. Williams the motion carried 4-0
2. A motion was made by Mr. Fitzpatrick to accept access permit for # 203 Newfane Hill Road Ms. Huber seconded The motion carried 4-0
Ms. Sanborn made a motion to accept the Road Foreman Report. Mr. Fitzpatrick seconded the motion carried
ADMINISTRATIVE AS SISTANT’S REPORT:
See attached report.
1. A motion to accept the Administrative Assistant’s report was made by Ms. Sanborn and Mr. Fitzpatrick seconded The motion carried 4-0
UNSCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC:
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC:
Ms. Landenberger and Mr. Bergman are part of the village liaison group. They responded to the traffic study that was done in July by VTrans and presented the village’s concerns along with some propsed short and long term solutions.
Mr. van Loon stated that the Selectboard would assume the role of atask force on the matter, verifying state regulations before overseeing the implementations of any forth-coming changes.
The Board cosider the minicipal suit started by Bennington regarding Opioid manufacture and distribution. A motion was made by Mr. Fitzpatrick and seconded by Ms. Sanborn for Newfane to stay in the current Opioid litigation with other Vermont towns. The motion carried 4-0
• Dumping on Adams Hill Road- no dumping sign to be put up by the highway dept
• Jim Condos 2019 Transparency Tour, The Secretary of State will be in Brattleboro on November 13th to review the Open Meeting Law and Public Records Act,
• Fisher & Fisher letter to WRMSUSD re: Solar Field
• Payroll Warrant No. 11422 in the amount of $3,930.76
• Payroll Warrant No. 11423 in the amount of $6,770.87
• Accounts Payable No. 20009 in the amount of $ 931,229.70
A motion was made by Mr. Fitzpatrick and seconded by Ms. Huber to approve the pay orders.
The motion carried 4-0
A motion was made by Mr. Fitzpatrick and seconded Ms. Huber to adjourn the meeting.
The motion carried Meeting Adjourned at 7:55 pm
Respectfully Submitted, Wannetta Powling
ROAD FOREMAN’S AND ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT
November 4, 2019
1. We had a fair number of trees and wires down with the storm last Friday; the last few customers had the power restored yesterday.
2. The bridge work on Hunter Brook Rd. is almost complete; the second bridge should be open by tomorrow. We are waiting for the guard rail to be put on the bridges and we are putting some rock on the bank of the approaches.
3. We had someone hit a new section of guard rail on Depot Rd. several weeks ago. Do you want to try billing the insurance company? It will only work on accidents that the police respond to so we can find out who did it and the insurance information.
4. You have an access permit for 203 Newfane Hill Rd. that we reviewed and everything looked good.
5. The Depot Rd. box culvert and the Sand/Salt shed are moving along slowly.
Jay Wilson Road Foreman
Christopher Williams Road Commissioner
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT
November 4, 2019
• Budget season started last week my time has been devoted to researching this process.
To make sure that a time line is kept, for the report to be completed.
• As I continue to receive these special appropriation requests in the mail the folder is becoming quite full.
• I have completed research on the special appropriation that appears in the Town Reports of our surrounding neighbors. I will have at our next budget meeting a full report for your review.
• I was asked a few weeks ago to research the property maintenance, contract we have with Mr. Gray.
1. He has been working with the town for an excess of 4 years.
2. Has an established a reliable, responsible and professional business.
3. He does and excellent job, there has been no concerns or complaints.
4. Mr. Gray and his family are respected citizens, property owners and tax payers in this community.
5. He rates are reasonable and well within range of what other property maintenance business charge.
• The Building committee has been formed in order to start and keep expectations within reason we have formed a small four person committee. Consisting of Mr. Suponski whom has construction experience, Ms. Brown our treasurer, Mr. Fitzpatrick from the Selectboard and me. We will present information to the Board after Town Meeting.