SPECIAL BUDGET MEETING – NEWFANE SELECTBOARD
Tuesday, January 9th, 2017
NEWFANE TOWN OFFICE
Members Present: Todd Lawley, Carol Hatcher, Marion Dowling, Mike Fitzpatrick and Gary Delius, via conference call.
Also Present: Doris Knechtel, Town Office Building Committee; Johanna Gardner, WSWMD Newfane Supervisor; and Ken Estey.
- WSWMD – Recycling – J. Gardner was present to discuss with the Selectboard the upcoming closing of the MRF (Materials Recycling Facility) and the various options and associated costs for dealing with recycling in Newfane. J. Gardner will get an updated figure for Newfane’s membership fee. Motion was made by C. Hatcher and seconded by M. Dowling to prepare an Article for the Town Meeting warning for the voters to vote on how they want to deal with recycling in the after July 1st, 2017. Unanimous.
- Discussion of Remainder of Expenditures – Board members reviewed the expenditure items that have been highlighted that they need to decide upon to complete the budget to be presented at Town Meeting. Many of the items relate to wages which will be discussed later in the meeting.
- Capital Expenditures – The following proposed amounts were entered into the planned acquisitions for 2017 – 2018: Highway equipment – $60,000 to replace the 2011 Ford F-350; Bridges – Arch Bridge $40,000 and River Road Bridge for deck and beams $25,000 plus possible grant funds; Highway – South Wardsboro Road $25,000 for drainage; Buildings – Williamsville Hall – $12,000, Town Office $50,000 for exterior & interior painting plus other issues; Town Garage – $10,000. Total anticipated acquisitions – $222,000, $60,000 less than 2016-2017. Total debt service – $159,668; Addition to the reserve fund through Taxes – $100,000. Mark Pickering, VAOT, will be contacted about a grant for the River Road Bridge repairs.
- Town Office Bathrooms for FY 2017 – Motion was made by M. Dowling and seconded by G. Delius to allot an amount not to exceed o $1,000 for the replacement of the toilets with more efficient water saving fixtures. Unanimous.
- Special Meeting – Board members agreed to schedule a Special Meeting for Friday, January 13th at 9:00 am to go over and finalize numbers for the General and Capital budgets in preparation for the annual Town Report and Town Meeting.
Todd Lawley and Doris Knechtel left the meeting so that the other Board members could decide on the hourly wages for the employees.
- Wages – After much discussion and review of the information prepared by the Administrative Assistant, motion was made by G. Delius and seconded by C. Hatcher to increase the hourly wage of the hourly employees by 2%. Unanimous. The results of this motion will be added to the budget.
- Pay Orders – The Pay Order prepared by the Town Treasurer, were reviewed and signed by the Board members present. Motion to approve the Pay Orders as presented. Unanimous.
- Adjournment – The Special Budget Meeting was adjourned at 8:40 pm. All in favor and so voted.
Minutes prepared by D. Knechtel