TOWN OF NEWFANE
FEBRUARY 4, 2019
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Marion Dowling, Mike Fitzpatrick, Shelly Huber, Christopher Williams
OTHERS PRESENT: Jay Wilson, Shannon Meckle, Emily Long, Joe Winrich
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Marion Dowling, Chair
ADDITIONS/AMENDMENTS TO THE AGENDA
There were no additions or amendments to the agenda.
January 21, 2019 Regular: A motion was made by Mike Fitzpatrick and seconded by Shelly Huber to approve the minutes. The motion carried with three in favor and Christopher Williams abstaining.
Road Foreman’s and Road Commissioner’s Report: See attached report.
A motion was made by Shelly Huber and seconded by Mike Fitzpatrick to accept the Road Foreman’s report. The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Shelly Huber and seconded by Christopher Williams to move items out of order. The motion carried unanimously.
– VLCT Newsletter. A motion was made by Shelly Huber and seconded by Mike Fitzpatrick to Melissa Brown to check out the gas tax issue. The motion carried unanimously.
– EAP Newsletter
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
Planning Commission: The Planning Commission was unable to attend the meeting, however Shannon presented a letter requesting Windham Regional Commission confirmation of the Town Plan. A motion was made by Mike Fitzpatrick and seconded by Christopher Williams to sign the letter requesting confirmation. The motion carried unanimously.
Administrative Assistant Vacancy: A motion was made by Mike Fitzpatrick and seconded by Christopher Williams to discuss the appointment of employee in accordance 1 V.S.A. § 313(a)3. The motion carried unanimously.
The Board came out of Executive Session at 6:50 p.m.
A motion was made by Mike Fitzpatrick and seconded by Christopher Williams to offer the position to Wannetta Powling. The motion carried unanimously.
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
Emily Long and Joe Winrich were present to discuss the recent school merger and the consequent transfer of land to the West River Modified Union Education District. .
Discussion ensued regarding the public’s ability to use the land for recreation, etc. Emily and Joe recommended speaking to the Principal regarding the school’s policy on public use of school lands. Policies will be revised and developed to be uniform, however the committee hasn’t worked on building or land use yet.
Emily noted that the website contains documents that show costs for each building along with an engineer’s audit.
A question and answer period ensued with Emily as Representative. She shared information regarding education, Vermont’s rural character, housing, child care, etc.
A motion was made by Shelly Huber and seconded by Mike Fitzpatrick to approve pay orders as follows:
• Accounts Payable Warrant No. 19016 in the amount of $764,854.82.
• Payroll Warrant No. 11379 in the amount of $4,281.18
• Payroll Warrant No. 11380 in the amount of $7,255.31
• Payroll Warrant No. 11381 in the amount of $7,197.68
The motion carried unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
ROAD FOREMAN’S AND ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT
February 4, 2019
1. The roof at the Williamsville Hall was repaired.
2. The plumbing in the pump chamber for the septic at the Town Office had to be repaired, in the spring we need to stop the ground water from running in and think about replacing pumps.
3. I met with the loss control person from VLCT at the Williamsville Hall he found a few small things that needed to be taken care of. He thinks we stand a good chance to get a grant from them to pay for half of the fire alarm. The new boiler will have to be inspected by someone from Travelers Insurance.
4. The sand and salt budgets are getting down and we have another six weeks of winter potentially.
5. Part of the Road Safety Audit recommended changing the yield to bridge traffic sign to a stop sign at the cement bridge in Williamsville. I think we should change that as soon as possible. When the weather permits, I will have the stop bars painted on the road.
6. After meeting at Monroe bridge, it was determined that work around the abutments was needed. That will have to be done this summer.
7. We need to remind everyone that you can’t snow blow or plow snow into the town road.
Jay Wilson Road Foreman
Christopher Williams Road Commissioner