TOWN OF NEWFANE
JULY 17, 2017
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Gary Delius, Marion Dowling, Carol Hatcher, Christopher Williams
OTHERS PRESENT: Todd Lawley, Lynn Forrest, Angela Sanborn, Ken Estey
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Carol Hatcher, Chair.
ADDITIONS/AMENDMENTS TO THE AGENDA
There were no additions or amendments to the agenda.
June 19, 2017: A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Christopher Williams to approve the minutes. The motion carried unanimously.
June 22, 2017: A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Marion Dowling to approve the minutes. The motion carried unanimously.
July 10, 2017: A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Christopher Williams to approve the minutes. The motion carried unanimously.
Road Foreman’s & Road Commissioner’s Report: See attached report.
The Board clarified that the employee get together will be held at NewBrook Fire Department and not the town office.
A motion was made by Gary Delius to accept the Road Foreman’s and Road Commissioner’s Report as amended. The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried with three in favor and Christopher Williams abstaining.
River Road Bridge Deck Replacement Bids: Three bids were received. They were opened and read into the record as follows:
Alpine Construction: Alternative A: No Price Given
Alternative B: $412,978.00
Cold River Bridges: Alternative A: $300,000.00
Alternative B: $383,658.00
Daniels Construction: Alternative A: $236,150.00
Alternative B: $282,775.00
Shannon will forward the bids to VTrans for their review and the bid will be awarded at the next meeting.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT
See attached report.
A motion was made by Gary Delius to accept the report. The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried unanimously.
As to the Williamsville Hall rental fee, the Board declined to discount the rental.
A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Christopher Williams to appoint Carol Hesselbach to the Conservation commission. The motion carried unanimously.
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
Planning Commission: Lynn Forrest, Ken Estey, Angela Sanborn were present to give an update on the recent Village Center Designation. The State reviewed the applications and recommended Village Center Designation. Newfane now has three designated village centers. Lynn noted that the Planning Commission had developed a timeline for the town plan update. The current Town Plan expires on July 22, 2018.
Lynn noted that during the VCD process, a number of people came to the public meeting, and the Planning Commission learned that there is a fourth village called Brookside, which is further out, toward East Dover. She noted that one of the reasons people are unaware of Brookside is that the sign was stolen. The people of Brookside noted that they’d like to have a sign again. The consensus of the Board was to invite the people of Brookside to contact the Board and request the type of sign that they would like to see. Lynn will contact them and let them know.
UNSCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
There were no unscheduled members of the public.
Forming a Personnel Committee: Carol noted that the personnel files need to be brought up to date, evaluations need to be done on a regular schedule, which hasn’t been happening. After discussion, Gary Delius volunteered to work with the Town Office employees. Marion agreed to work with Gary. Chris Williams agreed to work with the Highway Department.
Review/Clarification of Selectboard Procedures: Marion explained that she had some questions and concerns regarding the Selectboard Rules of Procedures. She noted that she is sometimes surprised during some of the discussions and feels like she should have known what was going on. She clarified her understanding that all Board members are equal and are all responsible to each other and highlighted the rule that no single Board member shall have the authority to act on behalf of the body unless the body has delegating authority on a specific matter.
Marion also noted that VLCT offers an onsite workshop regarding these matters and they suggested contacting area towns to see if others are interested in pitching in for a workshop.
Shannon noted that she would like to attend if the Board decides to host a workshop as she has been unable to attend any of them recently due to the distance. The consensus of the Board was to have Shannon reach out to other towns and set something up.
Employee Appreciation Day: Carol confirmed that the Employee Appreciation Day is set for Friday, September 15 at 1:00 p.m. at NewBrook Fire Department.
- Zoning Administrator’s Quarterly Report
- Planning Commission request for approval of expenditure for four boxes of stamped envelopes totaling $1,187.75. A motion to approve the expense was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried unanimously.
- Revised FY 18 Tax Rate – Due to a grand list adjustment, the tax rate changed from $0.5876 to $0.5855. A motion to approve the revised tax rate was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Christopher Williams. The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Marion Dowling to approve the pay orders as follows:
- Accounts Payable Warrant No. 18001 in the amount of $89,702.09
- Payroll Warrant No. 07/19/17 in the amount of $4,032.54
- Payroll Warrant No. 07/18/17 in the amount of $687.43
The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Christopher Williams and seconded by Gary Delius to adjourn at 7:30 p.m.
ROAD FOREMAN’S AND ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT
JULY 17, 2017
- Roads: We have been doing ditch work on some roads due to all the rain. We are grading and raking them as well. The crew has been hauling gravel as well. We have been very lucky with all the storms we have not had any major problems with road damage. The crew has been out cleaning culverts before the storms which has helped a lot.
- Equipment: The 2011 F350 is at faith’s Ford having a check engine light problem fixed. The 2017 Mack is at State line truck service having its first service done. Mack wants to have you bring it back for its first service so they can go over it and make sure everything is OKAY. The guys serviced the 2013 Mack oil change and grease.
- Kenny Pond: There will be a meeting at Kenny pond with the state dam inspector on August 1st at 9:30 am. Marc Pickering ,Christopher, Mike Fitzpatrick and the Palmer family will be there. This is to go over what work will be done on the retaining wall.
- New Employee: Mike Winot has started working for us and he is doing very well. He worked here for twelve years before. So we did not have to show him the roads or the equipment. It saves a lot of time training someone if they have never worked here before.
- Vacation: I will be on vacation from July 20th thru July 29th If there is an emergency and you need to get a hold of someone after hours or weekends you can get Jay or Steve.
- September 15th: I have let the crew know that there will be a get together on September 15th at the town office.
Todd Lawley, Road Foreman
Christopher Williams, Road Commissioner
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT
JULY 17, 2017
ANIMAL CONTROL UPDATE: Mike was unable to attend this evening, but asked me to give the Board an update. Regarding the issues on West Street, Mike is having a hard time obtaining enough concrete evidence needed for issuing tickets, except that the particular animals are not registered. They had a deadline of today to register them or a ticket would be issued. As of the meeting, I’m not certain if they were registered or not. Mike has his ID badge and was added to the list of authorized issuing officers with the Judicial Bureau so that he can sign tickets now.
REVIEWING PERSONNEL POLICY: There are some new laws regarding leave time and I have been reviewing them against the Personnel Policy to look for necessary changes. Most of the laws that are in effect now bring the requirements up to what the town was already doing. There are a few changes that will be needed to bring the Personnel Policy into compliance with the rules that are going into effect in 2018. Look for some minor changes to the Personnel Policy within the next month or so.
WILLIAMSVILLE HALL RENTAL: I have been asked by a renter if the Town will discount the rental for them. This is a three-day rental for a workshop (not a free, community event, but a private, paid event.) They thought the rental fee was $50.00 for all three days, but it is actually $50.00 per day. They’ve asked me if I would discount the rate in light of the misunderstanding. As the Board sets the fees, this is something the Board has to decide.
GARBAGE/RECYCLE REMOVAL AT TOWN OFFICE: I have been calling and comparing prices on trash and recycle pick up at the Town Office. I’m just waiting on one more price.
CONSERVATION COMMISSION: The Conservation Commission has requested that the Selectboard appoint Carol Hesselbach to the Conservation Commission to fill the vacancy left by the passing of Bruce.
WEEK OF JULY 24: During the week of July 24 through July 28, I will be working from home and using accrued leave time in order to be with my son, who is having surgery.