TOWN OF NEWFANE
JULY 2, 2018
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Gary Delius, Mike Fitzpatrick, Shelly Huber, Christopher Williams
OTHERS PRESENT: Piet van Loon, Archie Clark, Ken Estey, Shannon Meckle, Jay Wilson
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Gary Delius, Vice Chair.
ADDITIONS/AMENDMENTS TO THE AGENDA
There were no additions or amendments to the agenda.
June 18, 2018 Regular Meeting: A motion was made by Mike Fitzpatrick and seconded by Shelly Huber to approve the minutes. The motion carried unanimously.
June 26, 2018 Special Meeting: A motion was made by Mike Fitzpatrick and seconded by Shelly Huber to approve the minutes. The motion carried unanimously.
Road Foreman’s Report: See attached report.
A motion was made by Shelly Huber and seconded by Mike Fitzpatrick to accept the Report.
Discussion: Shelly requested the addition of “Dover Road” to the guardrail discussion for historical accuracy. The motion carried unanimously.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT
See attached report.
Williamsville Hall Rental: A motion was made by Mike Fitzpatrick and seconded by Shelly Huber to refund $100.00 to the renter of the Williamsville Hall. Discussion ensued regarding adding on an optional cleaning fee to future rentals. The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Mike Fitzpatrick and seconded by Chris Williams to accept the report. The motion carried unanimously.
UNSCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
Archie Clark was present to ask about the pavement work on the Dover Road bank stabilization project, noting pavement should have been complete and that the project was paid for. Mike noted, for Fitzpatrick Excavating, that it was still settling and would be done at the same time as the town’s paving projects.
FY 2019 Tax Rate: A motion was made by Mike Fitzpatrick and seconded by Shelly Huber to approve the FY 2019 Tax Rate. Shannon explained how the numbers are developed. The motion carried unanimously.
Traffic Issues: The Board reviewed a letter from Annie Landenberger. Members will take it with them to review. Shannon noted that one question they needed an answer to was how often they should come to meetings. Discussion ensued.
A motion was made by Shelly Huber and seconded by Mike Fitzpatrick to have the liaisons for the villages meet with the Board once per month and to have Shelly, Jay and Christopher work on projects that can be completed in this fiscal year. The motion carried unanimously.
Purchasing Policy: A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Shelly Huber to table signing the Purchasing Policy until July 16. The motion carried unanimously.
• Letter from Alex Blakeson requesting reimbursement for car damage. The consensus of the Board was not to reimburse Mr. Blakeson. Shannon will respond.
• VLCT News
• Vermont State Police Reports
A motion was made by Mike Fitzpatrick seconded by Christopher Williams to approve pay orders as follows:
• Accounts Payable Warrant No.18028in the amount of $58,803.38
• Payroll Warrant No. 11347 in the amount of $5,390.84
• Payroll Warrant No. 11348 in the amount of $7,083.42
The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Mike Fitzpatrick and seconded by Shelly Huber to adjourn at 7:10 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
ROAD FOREMAN’S AND ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT
July 2, 2018
1. The remainder of the Jersey Barriers have been removed from Dover Road and replaced with guard rail. They also replaced some of the post and cable that had fallen over.
2. We had another wind storm just before the last select board meeting, much of our damage involved downed power lines. I believe we had 6 roads that were blocked.
3. We have removed a number of trees from the area on Sunset Lake rd. were the ditching was taking place. The ditching has been completed and we hydroseeded the banks. There are still some trees to finish cleaning up.
4. Grading is continuing and we are going to be replacing more culverts.
5. I received an email that the Adams Brook project will begin on July 12th. There will be short delays on Adams Hill during this project so we put some gravel on New Rd. so Adams Hill residents can use as an alternate route.
6. We are going to be putting up the Brookside signs hopefully this week.
Jay Wilson, Road Foreman
Christopher Williams, Road Commissioner
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT
JUNE 18, 2018
SALE TO WW BUILDING SUPPLY: We received the required exemption letter and the closing will be held on Monday, July 9 at 1:00 p.m.
WILLIAMSVILLE HALL RENTAL: The people who rented the Hall last weekend are requesting a partial refund of their rental fee because they had to clean the Hall themselves. I let them know I would put their request in to the Board.
TOWN PLAN HEARING: Just a reminder that the Board is holding their Town Plan Hearing at 5:30 on July 16, with the Regular Selectboard meeting following at 6:00 p.m.
TOWN OFFICE COMPUTERS: The regularly scheduled maintenance on the computers is underway. I connected about half of them today for cleanup and updates and will be doing the other half tomorrow.