TOWN OF NEWFANE
MARCH 20, 2017
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Gary Delius, Marion Dowling, Mike Fitzpatrick, Carol Hatcher, Christopher Williams
OTHERS PRESENT: Todd Lawley, Ken Estey, Shannon Meckle
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Carol Hatcher, Chair.
ADDITIONS/AMENDMENTS TO THE AGENDA
Marion requested the Dog Ordinance be added to the agenda. This was added to New Business.
Christopher Williams requested discussion of the Road Foreman’s report, and letting Todd go first on the agenda. This will be discussed under Road Reports/Meetings.
March 6, 2017: The minutes were reviewed. A motion was made by Marion Dowling and seconded by Mike Fitzpatrick to approve the minutes. The motion carried with four in favor and Christopher Williams abstaining.
March 8, 2017: The minutes were reviewed. A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Marion Dowling to approve the minutes. The motion carried unanimously.
Road Foreman’s/Road Commissioner’s Report: See attached report.
Christopher Williams added that although the roads are posted, loggers request permission from Todd or Christopher to use the roads when they are still frozen. Discussion ensued. Christopher noted that fuel delivery trucks are the worst offenders. Carol noted that she witnessed a log truck coming down Timson Hill Road with no brake lights and reported it.
Marion noted that everyone has been very grateful to the Road Crew for the great work that’s been done all season. The Board agreed that the roads have been well taken care of, particularly with the last storm.
A motion was made by Gary Delius to approve the Road Foreman’s Report/Road Commissioner’s Report. The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried unanimously.
Road Reports/Meetings: The Board discussed how Road Reports will be given, as Todd isn’t on the Selectboard anymore. Christopher suggested putting Todd first on the agenda. The consensus of the Board was to have Todd come to every meeting during the winter and during busy times, and revisit it later in the late spring.
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
Ken Estey, Open/Accepting Town: As a result of the non-binding resolution to welcome and protect immigrants, Ken was present to discuss the formation of a committee. The resolution reads as follows:
“The Town of Newfane declares its intention to welcome and protect the rights of immigrants and refugees who are already in or who seek to come to our community and our state. To accomplish this goal, the citizens of Newfane call upon the Selectboard to consider the formation of a committee to explore ways to make our community safe for immigrants and refugees.”
Ken noted that in his mind, one of the charges of the committee would be defining what “welcome and protect” means, followed by recommending steps to put it into place. Discussion ensued.
A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Marion Dowling to form a committee, which will gather information about open and welcoming town for immigrants and refugees. The motion carried with three in favor and two opposed.
UNSCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
There were no Unscheduled Members of the Public.
Selectboard Communication: The Board discussed methods of disseminating information to Board members in preparation for meetings. Chris Williams noted that he will pick up information from the Town Office. Shannon will call if there is urgent information waiting for him.
Town Meeting 2017 Follow Up: The Board reviewed notes from Town Meeting. Discussion ensued regarding ways to move forward and be better prepared.
Ken Estey noted he’d read a Commons article regarding the SEVEDS appropriation requests in different towns and suggested weighs that they can be more accountable for the funds they receive.
Recycling Committee: The Board discussed Johanna Gardner’s Town Meeting presentation regarding the future of recycling. As a result, the citizens asked for a committee to be formed. A motion was made by Gary Delius to form a recycling committee to study alternatives available for continuing recycling in Newfane. The motion was seconded by Marion Dowling. The motion carried unanimously.
Dog Ordinance Violations: Marion read two Letters to the Editor regarding people not picking up dog feces in the village. She noted that it was not a new issue and that it had been discussed at Selectboard and Village meetings. Discussion ensued. It was noted that the first step should be to contact the Animal Control Officer. Increase in dogs. Not taking pride in their village. Had suggested posts with baggies.
Gary Delius noted that his business would be willing to donate a pet cleanup station if other businesses would also step in.
Green Lantern Solar Contract: Shannon updated the Board on progress in revising the lease. No action was taken.
A motion was made by Gary Delius and seconded by Mike Fitzpatrick to approve the pay orders as follows:
- Accounts Payable Warrant No. REAPP in the amount of $11,501.00
- Accounts Payable Warrant No. 1721A in the amount of $250.00
- Accounts Payable Warrant No. 17022 in the amount of $50,944.36
- Payroll Warrant No. 03/08/17 in the amount of $5,102.31
- Payroll Warrant No. 03/15/17 in the amount of $5,535.20
The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Marion Dowling and seconded by Gary Delius to adjourn at 7:35 p.m.. The motion carried unanimously.
ROAD FOREMAN’S AND ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT
MARCH 20, 2017
- Roads: The roads are getting pretty rough with pot holes. Overall they are OK they will need grading as soon as the weather warms up. We will be hauling gravel on So Wardsboro rd to smooth up some real bad rough spots. Most of the dirt roads are still posted and will be into April. With this latest cold snap there is a lot of frost back in the roads again.
- Equipment: The 09 Sterling had to have the heater motor and the wiper motor changed after the last storm. The 2013 Mack has been to Stateline Truck Service to have a belt tensioner replaced and a new fan belt put on it. Otherwise, everything is going alright. Everything ran through the big snow storm okay.
- Winter Storm: The crew did a very good job keeping up with the last storm. All the roads remained passable throughout the storm.
- VTrans: We have a meeting with Marc Pickering and Meagan from VTrans to go over the annual road expenditures. This is the meeting that they go over all the budget for roads and bridges and determine how much money the town will get from the state for this coming year. Shannon is setting up this meeting. We are also going to sit down with Marc and get the River Road Bridge bid out.
- Paving Bid: We will need to get the paving bid out soon I will meet with Shannon and get it sent out.
- Truck Bid: The bid for the new pick up should go out soon as well. I will work on a bid for that truck. If we bid it out now we will get it sooner. It will be put in the bid that the town can’t accept it until after July 1st.
Todd Lawley, Road Foreman
Christopher Williams, Road Commissioner