December 12, 2022, Selectboard Budget Minutes
(copy and paste the link into your web browser)

BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Angela Sanborn, Ann Golob, Mike Fitzpatrick (phone), Jeffrey Chevalier, and Katy Johnson-Aplin.

OTHERS PRESENT:  Jay Wilson (Road Foreman), Melissa Brown (Treasurer), and Wannetta Powling (Administrative Assistant).

CALL TO ORDER:  The meeting was called to order at 6:02 p.m. by Chair Angela Sanborn.

MEETING WARNING: Powling confirmed that the meeting was properly warned.


NEW BUSINESS: Capital Budget – Melissa Brown stated that there were only two items that were needed to finish in the Capital section. The first one is for the Gravel Pit Act 250 permit, (Page 11).  The second one is for Williamsville Hall. Committee Chair Levine is requesting ($20,000) for level funding, the same as last year.

Discussion ensued.


  • Open Items from the November 28 budget meeting included the amount of funding needed for the redesign of the Town website. It was decided to add $10,000 into the Town Office Improvements line item until the web design process can start after March Town Meeting.
  • Brown indicated that Mutual Aid dues were $29,731.

    Social Appropriations

  • Powling will contact the Windham County Humane Society to see if they were submitting for funds appropriation or if the contract amount was all that was to be considered for FY 2024.
  • Golob mentioned that there were two social appropriations that she would like to discuss in further detail.
    Moore Free Library (MFL) is asking for $10,100 to cover the estimated replacement/renovations to the front porch on the library.
    Discussion ensued.

Golob agreed to contact MFL Board President Bobbe Ragaizeos, to discuss the possibility of MFL maintaining their previous amount requested for social appropriations and to submit a request for ARPA money to cover the porch repairs. Further, she will ask the Library Board to assess their long-term financial needs and come to speak to the Selectboard next year about their needs.

Fitzpatrick suggested that MFL would need to submit a detailed estimate of work needing to be done to the porch.

2. Windham County Historical Society has agreed to assume the “Old Sheriff’s Building.” There is great potential with the building to increase the number of displays. However, the large amount they are asking for in social appropriations is inconsistent with past requests.

Golob agreed to contact Dick Marek to discuss the recommendations from the Selectboard, including submitting a request for ARPA funds to cover a portion of their renovation fees (though less than what the Society initially requested).

  • Those social organizations that requested appropriation funds and have completed their appointments with the Selectboard were discussed. These will be drafted into individual articles for the registered voters to decide at Town Meeting.

Powling agreed to have a draft of the Articles available at the December 21 budget meeting for the Selectboard to review.

  • Golob made a motion to enter Executive Session to discuss salaries. Johnson-Aplin seconded the motion.

Wilson and Brown were invited to attend Executive Session.
Motion passed

Entered Executive Session at 7 P.M.

 Golob made a motion to Exit Executive Session. Chevalier seconded the motion.
Exited Executive Session at 7:52 P.M

Leaving Executive Session – the decision of the Selectboard, “Salaries were agreed upon and shared with the Treasurer to enter into the town budget.”

  • Wilson mentioned that the Town has been contacted by the Bidder from the recent auction of the F 550 truck. He has provided photographs and a statement from the body shop that inspected the vehicle and found a crack in the frame which means the vehicle cannot pass inspection in MA. The purchaser requested $5,000 to cover the cost of the new frame.

Discussion ensued.

Golob made a motion to reimburse the gentleman $2,500 toward the repair cost.  Fitzpatrick seconded the motion. Motion passed 5/0.
Wilson agreed to contact the gentleman with the decision from the board.

  • Law Enforcement:

Tabled until December 21st. It was the Selectboard’s decision to total all the figures that have been discussed to date and see what our bottom line looks like and the impact on our overall taxes. At the next budget meeting, the Board will discuss how much we want to budget for Law Enforcement.


  • Dedication – Up-date was given. Powling and Brown will continue to work on gathering additional information to enable a proper write-up for the dedication.
  • Personal Reviews – Administrative Assistant and Road Foreman are pending a review date. TBD

Follow-up items (Note: Follow-up items are now moved to the regular Selectboard meeting agenda.)

  • Sanborn will talk to Judge Barnett about moving the monument on Jail Street further back to protect it from snowplows. Added 11/14/22.
  • Johnson-Aplin had suggestions for celebrations of Newfane’s 250th It was agreed that she would compile a list of potential expenses so we could evaluate how to include them in the budget or if a separate fundraising effort should be launched. Added 11/14/22.

Fitzpatrick made a motion to adjourn. Meeting Adjourned at 8:12 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,
Wannetta Powling Administrative Assistant