https://us06web.zoom.us/j/97227911757#success (copy and paste the link into your web browser)
https//zoom. Us/join Meeting ID: 972 2791 1757 Passcode: 352680
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Angela Sanborn, Ann Golob, Katy Johnson-Aplin, Jeffrey Chevalier, and Mike Fitzpatrick.
OTHERS PRESENT: Doris Knechtel (Lister), Melissa Brown (Treasurer), Austin Rice (BCTV), and Wannetta Powling (Administrative Assistant).
Zoom: Jay Wilson (Road Foreman), Jane Douglas (Planning Commissioner), and Henriette Mantel.
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm by Selectboard Chair Angela Sanborn.
CONFIRM PROPERLY WARNED: Powling confirmed the meeting had been properly warned.
ADDITIONS/AMENDMENTS TO AGENDA:
Special Zoom Minutes from Friday, June 30th Meeting.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
- June 20, 2023, Special meeting minutes.
Johnson-Aplin made a motion to accept the June 20 minutes, and Jeffrey Chevalier seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4/0/1 Fitzpatrick abstained.
- June 30th, 2023, Special Zoom Minutes.
Johnson-Aplin made a motion to accept the June 20 minutes, and Golob seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4/0/1 Fitzpatrick abstained.
ROAD FOREMAN’S & ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT:
- The hydraulic study for the Eddy Road culvert was done last week; once Ron Bell has the report from that, he can finish the design.
- The Depot Road box culvert has been held up with all the hoops that Renaud Bros. has had to jump through. Hopefully, they are making progress at this point.
- The electrician has the generators and transfer switches; he is scheduling a time next week to do the installation.
- We had a meeting at the gravel pit with Bill Jewell last Friday, and we left there all on the same page. We questioned the relocation of the access road and suggested it be left in its current location.
- The engineer for the box culvert at Loop Rd. wants to meet me on-site to go over the final details. I am hoping to include Ed Druke and Marc Pickering if possible.
- I am working on repairing the drain on Dover Road in Williamsville at the end of Timson Hill Road. It will cost about $3500 for the cement work and the paving around it.
Golob made a motion to accept the Road Foreman’s report, Fitzpatrick seconded.
The conversation took place on tree removal on River Road, Sunset Lake Road, and S. Wardsboro Road. It was agreed upon to move forward to avoid continued damage to the guardrails and to help eliminate the power outage issues caused by the heavy snowfall.
The vote was called. Motion passed 5/0.
Access Permit – The application for Joesph Mariano on Steep Way was reviewed.
Fitzpatrick made a motion to approve the access permit with the Road Foreman’s recommendation, and Golob seconded. Motion passed 5/0.
Sealed Bids were opened.
Hunter Brook Road Bank Slide repair.
- Fitzpatrick Excavating from Wardsboro, VT Bid amount $ 10,400.00.
- S. Clark & Sons from Newfane, VT Bid amount $ 4,675.00
Johnson-Aplin made a motion to accept the A.S. Clark & Sons bid of $ 4,675.00, and Chevalier seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4/0. Fitzpatrick recused himself.
Paving Bid #1 S. Wardsboro Road
- Springfield Paving from Claremont, NH Bid amount $455,184.80
Wilson confirmed that there is money in the budget to do the paving, including $175,000 in the paving grant from the State of Vermont.
Golob made a motion to accept the Springfield Paving bid of $455,184.80. Chevalier seconded. Motion passed 5/0.
Paving Bid #2 repair sections on Grimes Hill and Radway Hill Road.
- Springfield Paving from Claremont, NH
The bid amount is $25,900 in total.
(Grimes Hill $13,950–Radway Hill $11,950)
- DMI from Brattleboro, VT
The bid amount is $23,400 in total
(Grimes Hill $13,400–Radway Hill $10,000)
Fitzpatrick made a motion to accept the DMI Paving bid of $23,400. Chevalier seconded. Motion passed 5/0.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT:
- The Animal Control summary of activities that you asked for is included with my report.
- The outside trim on the Town Office building is pealing very badly; I would like to get permission for estimates to have these areas repainted.
- The date table and the process that needs to be followed for the River Corridor and Floodplain Bylaw are attached. It would be extremely helpful to set some dates tonight for the informational hearing. The warnings need to be posted 15 days prior to the hearing.
- I have included information from the Human Resource Training that I recently attended for your benefit.
- Katy Johnson-Aplin and I have both registered to attend the Leadership Summit on August 15 in Randolph, VT. There are many important workshops that could benefit Newfane, both Planning and Implementation of projects.
- During the Budget planning, I had two Estimates from our Security Company for upgrading the Security System (these are attached to my report). I would like Selectboard’s permission to move forward with the proposed changes.
Fitzpatrick made a motion to accept the Administrative Assistant’s report, and Johnson-Aplin seconded.
#2. Powling was advised to check with Wilson on the (scheduled) repairs for the pillars on the front of the building. Including the replacement of the floors in Lister’s office and the Town Clerks’ office.
#3. Dates for the Informational Public Hearings for the By-Law Flood Pain and River Corridor. The date of September 5th at 6 pm with the Selectboard meeting will follow.
#6. Golob made a motion to replace the Security System. Fitzpatrick seconded. The motion passed 5/0.
#7. Golob made a motion to sign the Sullivan, Powers Contract for Auditing Services. Fitzpatrick seconded. The motion passed 5/0.
The vote was called. Motion passed 5/0.
Jane Douglas gave a brief update on the installation progress for DV Fiber.
Requested the Selectboard’s approval to post Planning Commission vacancy on Front Porch Forum. This was a reasonable request, and approval was given.
Setting New Municipal Tax Rate-Doris Knetchel and Melissa Brown presented to the Selectboard the figures for setting the FY 2024 Municipal Tax Rate. These calculations were found in the approved Town Meeting minutes. Using the procedures that were created last year, the Lister’s office and treasurer worked together and were able to verify the numbers for the Municipal Rate of 0.7323.
Fitzpatrick made a motion to approve the tax rate as 0.7323. Golob seconded.
The motion passed 5/0.
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC:
UNSCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
- Personal Policy Recommendations (Johnson-Aplin).
Changes were reviewed, and suggestions were made to the Personal Policy. Further work needs to be done. A revised draft will be reviewed at the next meeting.
- Town Beautification suggestions (Chevalier).
Beckley Gaudette at the Moore Free Library confirmed that they would accept placing a bench at the library.
The Traffic Calming Committee would like to suggest that a sub-committee for the Beautification of Newfane be created to continue to expand the progress that has started.
- Discuss ideas for a 250-year celebration of Newfane’s founding. (Johnson-Aplin).
The Selectboard decided that the limited involvement and efforts could not be completed in a timely manner to do proper recognition for the 250-year celebration of the first Town Meeting.
The NewBrook Fire Department has already gotten started on the 75th Anniversary Celebration plans.
- FEMA buyout of South Newfane General Store (Golob)
- ARPA Funds Updates (Golob)
- Flood Plain River Corridor By-Law proposed changes.
Administrative Assistance report
- What to do in an Emergency Information
Contact information will be updated on the flyer, and distribution efforts for posting were discussed. The final draft will be reviewed at the July 17th meeting.
Appropriation Thank you letters from
VT Adult Learning
Windham County Human Society
American Red Cross
1. Payroll Warrant # 11630 Amount $ 4,843.14
2. Payroll Warrant # 11631 Amount $ 5,795.03
3. Account Payable # 23029 Amount $ 21,546.52
4. Account Payable # 24001 Amount $ 24,976.90
Golob made a motion to approve Pay Orders. Chevalier seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5/0
Johnson-Aplin made a motion to adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 8:14 P.M.
Wannetta Powling, Administrative Assistant