Monday April 6, 2020
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Marion Dowling and Michael Fitzpatrick.
Remote access: Shelly Huber, Christopher Williams, Angela Sanborn and BCTV.
OTHERS PRESENT: Jay Wilson, and Wannetta Powling.
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Chair Marion Dowling.
A motion made by Ms. Sanborn to approve the March 16, 2020 minutes at next regular meeting, Mr. Williams seconded.
ROAD FOREMAN’S AND ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT:
- We had another burglar alarm at the Town Garage it was the same motion detector as 2 weeks. Home Security came and replaced that detector and replaced all the batteries also.
- The permitting process continues on the Sand/Salt shed project and the Depot Rd. box culvert.
- We have several trees that have fallen partially over and taken the bank with it on So. Wardsboro Rd. I am working on someone to remove the trees. Marc Pickering and Scott Jensen are looking at it to come up with the plan for permanent repair.
- We are busy getting roads repaired from mud season.
- I have been on a daily basis wiping down all of the common surfaces with Clorox spray at the garage either after everyone has left for the day or before they come in. We are doing our best at have people drive only one vehicle or wiping them down if we do switch.
Discussion ensued regarding road foreman contacting State of VT for clarification of essential work for highway crew.
A motion by Mr. Fitzpatrick and seconded by Ms. Sanborn.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT:
I have been working remotely, but I’m coming into the office at night to check emails and voicemails; I also pick up the mail. I have had meetings with the Selectboard Chair to disuse how we are following the Governors executive order.
A motion by Ms. Sanborn and seconded by Mr. Williams.
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC:
Reviewing the annual lease of the Cat excavator, the Board discussed the options.
Mr. Williams made a motion to renew the Lease Mr. Fitzpatrick seconded for discussion purposes. Discussion ensued.
· It was revealed that 340 machine hours were used over the past year.
· Ditching was done on Sun Set Lake, Newfane Hill and Jones Hill road.
· 20 + culverts work.
· There was also Hunter Brook Bridge work.
Additionally the Cat lease should be added as an article for our next Town Meeting.
A motion was made to table further discussion until additional information was received. It was decided to have a member of the Selectboard and Road foreman speak with the Cat representative and report back to the full board at a future meeting as to what would be in additional options, and the interest of the town.
Question was raised, if the Selectboard members have the power to suspend or defer the tax payment dates.
Email from Attorney Robert Fisher regarding duties the Selectboard members must follow. These duties are as directed in the Oath of office.
- Accounts Payable 20020 in the amount of $1,271.06
- Accounts Payable 20021 in the amount of $ 19,718.36
- Accounts Payroll 11443 in the amount of $ 4,769.65
- Accounts Payroll 11444 in the amount of $ 4,861.11
- Accounts Payroll 11445 in the amount of $ 4,839.39
- Accounts Payroll 11446 in the amount of $ 6,506.18
- Accounts Payroll 11447 in the amount of $ 4,230.38
A motion was made by Mr. Fitzpatrick and seconded by Ms. Sanborn to approve the pay orders. The motion carried
A motion was made by Mr. Williams to adjourn the meeting. Meeting Adjourned at 7:30 pm.
Respectfully Submitted, Wannetta Powling
**We want to stay committed to the mandate issued by the Government regarding COVID 19 – Anything that is not time sensitive should wait to a future meeting.
Please let’s remember to Stay Safe
THE NEWFANE SELECTBOARD
WILL NOT BE HOLDING
APRIL 20, 2020 MEETING.