(copy and paste the link into your web browser)
https//zoom. Us/join Meeting ID: 972 2791 1757 Passcode: 352680
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Angela Sanborn, Ann Golob, Katy Johnson-Aplin, and Jeffrey Chevalier (Zoom).
Absent: Mike Fitzpatrick.
OTHERS PRESENT: James Bressor, Austin Rice (BCTV), and Wannetta Powling (Administrative Assistant). Zoom: Jay Wilson (Road Foreman), Jane Douglas (Planning Commission), Diana Urbaska.
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm by Selectboard Chair Angela Sanborn.
CONFIRM PROPERLY WARNED: Powling confirmed the meeting had been properly warned.
ADDITIONS/AMENDMENTS TO AGENDA:
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
- June 5, 2023, regular meeting minutes.
Golob made a motion to accept the June 5 minutes, and Johnson-Aplin seconded the motion.
Motion passed 3/0.
Chevalier joined the meeting at 6:07 pm.
ROAD FOREMAN’S & ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT:
- I met Ron Bell and Scott Jensen at the culvert on Eddy Road. Ron Bell had drawings done for the meeting; Ron will be making some changes as per the meeting and getting us the design soon.
- The white lines on the pavement were done last week.
- The Depot Road box culvert: Renaud Brothers submitted the shop drawings for the cement box and was waiting to hear back before starting to make the box.
- The gravel pit: not much has changed, Bill Jewell sent a map of the pit that showed the first phase, and I have not had anything else lately. He was working on the application itself, also.
- I got the Small Scale VTrans grant application submitted last week.
- The grant for the Newfane Village sidewalk design/construction was submitted the week before.
Golob made a motion to accept the Road Foreman’s report, and Johnson-Aplin seconded.
The vote was called. Motion passed 4/0.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT’S REPORT:
- There is the Animal Control contract for review and signing tonight. We are one of eight (Guilford, Putney, Grafton, Wardsboro, Windham, Westminster, and Vernon) other towns using the services; Ashley Pinger does a remarkable job. I am very appreciative of her services and time. (See attachment for the rates)
- Steve Levine has submitted Eben Viens as a new Williamsville Hall Committee Member.
- Thursday, June 22nd, from 8-10:30 am Williamsville Hall will serve Breakfast.On Friday night, June 23rd, the Williamsville Hall will have “Dinner and a Movie” They will serve a Spaghetti dinner at 6:30 pm and a Movie at 7:30 pm.
Johnson-Aplin made a motion to accept the Administrative Assistance report, and Golob seconded.
A Fiscal Year 2024 payroll schedule needs to be signed by the Selectboard for the Treasurer’s records.
Johnson-Aplin made a motion to authorize Chair Sanborn to sign the Animal Control contract, Golob seconded. Motion passed 4/0.
Golob made a motion to sign the Fiscal Year 2024 payroll schedule, and Chevalier seconded.
Motion passed 4/0.
Johnson-Aplin made a motion to appoint Eben Viens to the Hall Committee, which Golob seconded. Motion passed 4/0.
The Vote was called – Motion passed 4/0.
Jane Douglas made a plea for anyone interested in the Planning Commission; there are now two open Commissioner Positions.
SCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC:
Dan Mallach, DuBois & King Inc. – Streetscape Scoping Study
A PowerPoint presentation and a report on the sidewalk options for the village of Newfane were shared (this information is available on the Town website). The report included the State of Vermont (VTrans) required information for Route 30 for implementing any changes and for applying for financial grants.
Golob made a motion to accept the Streetscape Scoping Study report, and Johnson-Aplin seconded. Motion passed 4/0.
UNSCHEDULED MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
- Personal Policy Recommendations (Johnson-Aplin).
No updates available- Tabled.
- Town Beautification suggestions (Chevalier)
Sanborn mentioned that she had talked with Reed (Building and Groundskeeper for the Courthouse) about the placement of benches on the Courthouse common. Reed suggested the possibility of placing benches near the tree line on the common, the Union Hall area, and in front of the Church, we would still need to contact the Judge. Chevalier heard from the Conservation Commission, and they were receptive to having a bench place near the entrance to the Town Forest. Other locations were discussed, but decisions still needed to be made.
- Discuss ideas for a 250-year celebration of Newfane’s founding. (Johnson-Aplin).
- FEMA buyout of South Newfane General Store (Golob)
Golob indicated that with the BRELLA Insurance in place, Windham Regional Commission had approved funding for the Phase 1 study. The property owner will be required to sign the necessary paperwork.
Johnson-Aplin asked for clarification.
- ARPA Funds Updates (Golob)
- Flood Plain River Corridor By-Law proposed changes.
Golob recommended that Powling construct a detailed timeline of the steps the Selectboard would need to follow. Golob mentioned that Windham Regional Commission would be willing to assist with the presentation when the date is set for the informational meeting.
Sanborn suggested that the scheduled Selectboard meeting on July 3rd be moved until after the Holiday.
The next meeting will be on Wednesday, July 5th. The Selectboard will discuss setting the dates for the Informational meeting on July 5th meeting.
- What to do in an Emergency Information.
Golob drafted an informational flyer compiling information from questions that were brought up at a previous meeting.
Jeff Chevalier left the meeting at 7:22 pm
1. Payroll Warrant # 11628 Amount $ 6,453.40
2. Payroll Warrant # 11629 Amount $ 4,787.84
3. Account Payable # 23029 Amount $ 228,751.42
Golob made a motion to approve Pay Orders. Johnson-Aplin seconded the motion.
Motion passed 3/0.
Johnson-Aplin made a motion to adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 P.M.
Wannetta Powling, Administrative Assistant