Special Budget Meeting Minutes Monday November 14, 2022 @ 6:00 PM

In-Person & Zoom

BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Angela Sanborn, Ann Golob, Jeffrey Chevalier and Katy Johnson-Aplin; by phone: Mike Fitzpatrick.

OTHERS PRESENT: Melissa Brown (Treasurer) and Jay Wilson (Road Foreman).

Absent: Wannetta Powling (Administrative Assistant).


  • The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Chair Angela Sanborn.
  • Sanborn asked if the meeting was properly warned. Wilson checked the announcement on WW Building Supply and saw that the day was incorrect (it read Tuesday instead of Monday) but the date was correct (the 14 th ). After conferring with the Town Clerk, it was agreed that the meeting could move forward.



  • Town Report Design. The three ideas discussed at the previous meeting were reviewed and it was decided to select images of the Arch Bridge; select an image of the new bridge on the cover and several older images from years past and sprinkle them throughout the book itself.
    • Johnson-Aplin made a motion to use the Arch Bridge for the design; Golob seconded; Vote: 5 yes, 0 no.
  • Dedication. Several suggestions were raised and discussed. It was not known if new suggestions had been received by the Administrative Assistant. It was agreed that we would wait to make a final decision at the next budget meeting on November 21 st .


Budget Review

  • Insurance
    The Selectboard reviewed information provided by the Treasurer on the rise in insurance rates beginning December 1 st . A discussion ensued regarding whether to maintain the 80% (Town cost)-20% (employee cost) split for paying the premiums.

    • Fitzpatrick made a motion to maintain the 80-20 split; Johnson-Aplin seconded; Vote: 5 yes, 0 no.
    • Chevalier made a motion to have Chair Sanborn sign the insurance premiums; Johnson-Aplin seconded;
      Vote: 5 yes, 0 no.
  • Law Enforcement
    It was agreed to hold off a review of law enforcement funding until we reach the end of our budget discussions so we can evaluate where we stand overall and how much we think we can afford to put toward law enforcement.
  • Social Appropriations
    This section will be completed when we have received all the appropriation requests within the next month.
  • Other budget items related to Roads, Bridges, Equipment Items related to the Road Foreman’s budget were reviewed and finalized. Contract Service Bridges was not finalized; Wilson will have more information by the next budget meeting.
  • Other items
    It was agreed that we should keep NewBrook Fire Company and Rescue at the same funding levels.

Personnel Reviews
It was agreed that salaries will be reviewed at the final budget meeting. In the meantime, personnel reviews will be scheduled in the next two weeks.

  • Chevalier and Wilson will complete the reviews for the Road Crew staff.
  • Chevalier and Road Commissioner Chris Williams will complete the review for Road Foreman Wilson.
  • Sanborn and Johnson-Aplin will complete the review for Zoning Administrator Tessier.
  • Sanborn and Golob will complete the review for Administrative Assistant Powling.
  • Doris Knechtel will be asked by Sanborn to complete the review for Katie Bristol.

It was agreed that all Selectboard members would review the VLCT documents detailing compensation for town employees across Vermont.

Follow-up items

  1. Brown will confirm with VLCT (Vermont League of Cities and Towns) that 10-15% is still considered the correct percentage amount to maintain for a town surplus of our size. Open from 11/1/22
  2.  Powling will contact WCHS (Windham County Humane Society) to confirm whether Newfane still receives any of the fees from Newfane dogs that are impounded. Open from 11/1/22
  3.  Powling will ask Jay Wilson to follow up on the estimate for the Town Office renovations from Levitt and
    Litchfield. These renovations including the installation of mini-splits for heating and air conditioning will allow for the long-term conservation of energy and significant potential savings. Open from 11/1/22
  4.  Powling will contact Bahman Mandavi and get budget information for the redesign of the town website to make it more user-friendly. Open from 11/1/22
  5.  Powling will present the recommendations and budget information from Walter Hagedorn for the Town office gardens. Open from 11/1/22
  6.  Further information is needed from Road Foreman Jay Wilson on anticipated revenue from the sale of equipment, including the 550 one-ton truck. Powling will request this information. Closed 11/14/22
  7.  Several items were put on hold until Powling was available to provide further information. These included:
    funding request from the Planning Commission; updated information on unemployment insurance rates and worker’s compensation rates; annual report expense; professional audit expense. Added 11/14/22
  8.  Sanborn and Wilson will talk to Judge Barnett about the possibility of moving the monument located on Jail Street further back to protect it from snow plows. Added 11/14/22
  9.  Johnson-Aplin brought up several suggestions for celebrations of Newfane’s 250 th anniversary. It was agreed that she would compile a list of potential expenses so we could evaluate how to include them in the budget or if a separate fundraising effort should be launched. Added 11/14/22
  10.  Treasurer Brown discussed the US Bond Bank where the town has a remaining $36,000. There was a discussion about how we could use these funds to repay the principal on the South Newfane bridge loan. Brown will discuss further with the Bond Bank and get back to the Selectboard to confirm that this can be done.

Items agreed to discuss at later Selectboard meetings: (No new items added on 11/14/22)

  • Review with WHC (Williamsville Hall Committee) the rental fees for residents and non-residents. Should there be any change in fees to cover the costs of cleaning the hall? Added 11/1/22
  • Does the Selectboard want to consider how to spend the $500 in the budget for board compensation? In the past these funds typically did not get used. Last year we supported an organization raising funds for children services. Added 11/1/22
  • Evaluate whether we should put oil purchases for heating out to bid in order to lock in a lower price. Added 11/1/22

Tabled for future budget meetings

  • Capital Budget
  • Expenditures
  • Open Items
  • Articles including Social Appropriation Donations
  • Salaries
  • Warnings
  • Chevalier made a motion to adjourn. Meeting adjourned at 7:35 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,
Ann Golob
Vice Chair, Selectboard