Tuesday November1, 2022 Special Budget Meeting Minutes

(copy and paste the link into your web browser)      

BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Ann Golob, Jeffrey Chevalier, and Katy Johnson-Aplin; by phone: Mike Fitzpatrick. Absent: Angela Sanborn.

OTHERS PRESENT:  Jane Douglas (Planning Commissioner/ Town Representative for DV Fiber), Melissa Brown (Treasurer), and Wannetta Powling (Administrative Assistant).

The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Vice-Chair Ann Golob.



  • Town Report Design
    Discussion ensued:  Three ideas for the 2022 design of the Town Report cover were discussed; there will be further discussion at the next budget meeting on November 14th.

  • Dedication
    In order to maintain confidentiality, a request was made to email your nomination for the Town report dedication to the Administrative Assistant before the November 14th meeting.

General Fund
Revenue and Expenses:
Treasurer Melissa Brown explained that not all the FEMA reimbursements have been received, and it is not clear when to expect the funds. If you were to include them now as projected revenue, it could cause a shortfall in the budget. Golob made a recommendation for Brown to include a written statement in the financial reports explaining that the FEMA reimbursement is due the Town of Newfane but that it is unclear how long the process will take to receive the money.

Brown commented that it is a good accounting policy to maintain 10-15% of the operating budget in a surplus account for emergencies.

Discussion of salaries was postponed until the Selectboard has a chance to review VLCT’s Vermont Municipal Compensation and Benefits Report.

Follow-up items

  1.  Brown will confirm with VLCT (Vermont League of Cities and Towns) that 10-15% is still considered the correct percentage amount to maintain for a town surplus of our size.

  2. Powling will contact WCHS (Windham County Humane Society) to confirm whether Newfane still receives any of the fees from Newfane dogs that are impounded.
  3. Powling will ask Jay Wilson to follow up on the estimate for the Town Office renovations from Levitt and Litchfield. These renovations, including the installation of mini-splits for heating and air conditioning, will allow for the long-term conservation of energy and significant potential savings.
  4. Powling will contact Bahman Mandavi and get budget information for the redesign of the town website to make it more user-friendly.
  5. Powling will present the recommendations and budget information from Walter Hagedorn for the Town office gardens.
  6. Further information is needed from Road Foreman Jay Wilson on anticipated revenue from the sale of equipment, including the 550 one-ton truck. Powling will request this information.

Several issues were raised in the course of reviewing expenses, and it was agreed to defer discussion of them to a later date at a regular Selectboard meeting.

  • Review with WHC (Williamsville Hall Committee) the rental fees for residents and non-residents. Should there be any change in fees to cover the costs of cleaning the hall?
  • Does the Selectboard want to consider how to spend the $500 in the budget for board compensation? In the past, these funds typically did not get used. Last year we supported an organization raising funds for children’s services.
  • Evaluate whether we should put oil purchases for heating out to bid in order to lock in a lower price.

Tabled for future budget meetings

  • Capital Budget
  • Expenditures
  • Articles
  • Warnings
  • Social Appropriations Donations


 Katy Johnson-Aplin made a motion to adjourn. Meeting Adjourned at 8:05 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,
Wannetta Powling
Administrative Assistant